The Guardian: Exiles from Chagos Islands given hope of returning soon to their lost paradise

Published for The Guardian on 7 February, 2015 by Jamie Doward.

The long-fought-for end to expulsion from Indian Ocean atolls to make way for a US base may finally rest on an outlay of £64.

It is a scandal stretching across six decades: the forced removal of hundreds of native people from a British overseas territory to make way for a US military base. That Diego Garcia, the main island in the Chagos archipelago – seven atolls in the Indian Ocean – has played a part in the CIA’s torture programme has only added to Britain’s sense of shame.

However, after myriad legal battles – and now that more than half of the 1,800 Chagossian people who were removed from their homeland between 1967 and 1973 have died – there is a real possibility that the survivors and their children will finally be allowed to go home. Sabrina Jean, 41, whose parents were native Chagossians, said the appetite to go back among those born on the 60 or so islands that comprise the archipelago – now referred to as the British Indian Ocean Territory – remains undimmed. “Most of those still alive would like to return,” she said. “We are hopeful.”

For full article please read at The Guardian website.

3 Comments

  1. google March 4, 2015 at 10:03 pm - Reply

    Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. [[” ] Edit or delete it, then start blogging!

    • Nulu July 5, 2015 at 8:37 pm - Reply

      I have been there and can say that it is stupid of the US to ctnoinue to maintain the base. It got washed over by the tsunami; it is a waste of fuel because it is so far away from anything.It is criminally stupid that the US didn’t arrange basing somewhere else long before. Not all of Africa is in rebellion, and a base on Africa would have made a great deal more sense.

  2. Jaxon July 5, 2015 at 5:35 am - Reply

    Why does this have to be the ONLY rebliale source? Oh well, gj!

Leave A Comment